BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Things No One Tells You

When you're pregnant everyone loves to chime in their 2 cents giving you lots of advice. Some of it's useful, some is completely outdated and some makes you think "umm no thanks I wouldn't want my kid to turn out like yours." Even with all of that advice (most of it unsolicited) there are so many things no one ever tells you.

For instance no one ever told me that when my kid was sick or hurt I'd desperately wish that I could take the pain instead or that the worry I felt may actually cause me physical pain and illness.

No one ever really described the fierce protection I would feel for my children. It's almost animalistic in nature.

I was never told that I'd never sleep as soundly as I did before I had children. Now one ear stays awake listening for a middle of the night cry or cough.

No one ever told me that I'd turn into one of "those" parents who thinks that their kid is the most super awesome creature to ever walk the planet. For those of you who don't know my kids really are the most awesome and amazing creatures to ever walk the planet (okay well Jillian doesn't walk yet but you get the point).

No one told me that the sight of my child sleeping peacefully or accomplishing something for the very first time would often bring me to tears.

They forgot to tell me about the internal tug of war that would go on inside me when it comes to letting my children grow up and assert some independence. On one hand I love watching their sense of accomplishment and it feels good knowing that they are growing and learning but on the other hand I know that with each step they take it's one more step away from being my baby.

The other thing that no one ever told me is how being a mother would make me feel so much more compassion for other mothers. Stories of sick children or children who have died have always made me sad. Now when I hear those stories not only do I think of the child but one of my first thoughts is "that poor mother."

I've been wondering why no one ever told me these things. I think maybe it's because there are no adequate ways to describe them. There is no way to fully describe the fierce love that I feel for my children. It's really something that you have to experience for yourself.

0 comments: