BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, October 8, 2010

It Was a 3 Shot Kinda Day

Nope, I don't mean that kind of shot. Today's shots were not of the fun, make you feel happy variety. They were the kind that require a visit to the doctor, tears and Band-aids.

Jillian, Ben and I all got our flu shots today. Not high on my list of fun things to do. I'm not a fan of shots to begin with. Needles have always made me cringe. Ask my mom. She used to laugh at me. Mom, if you're reading this you're still mean!

Anyway, now I have to put on a brave face and take that shot like a big girl because the kids are right there watching. I can't cry and wince like I really want to! It'd be pretty hard to convince them to be brave if they catch me being a big ol' weenie! Lucky, mommy got to go first. Surprisingly, it didn't really hurt. It hurt more to remove the Band-aid later. Next time I think I'd just prefer to bleed on my shirt.

Big Ben was next. Once he saw what they did to me he wanted no parts of getting a shot. They stick the kids in their thigh so I had to pull his pants down and then they make the parent restrain the child. Gee thanks. Like I don't have to be the bad guy often enough. First I have to tell the kid that he cannot have Gummi Bears for breakfast and now you want me to pin his arms and legs down while you poke him with something sharp and pointy? Awesome. He cried. I almost cried. Then the nurse took him to get a sticker. He found a Toy Story one and all was right with his world again.

Jilly Bean went last. She had a little exam first because she was also there to have her foot checked (everything is fine). Then it was needle time. Again, I get stuck restraining the poor kid. This really is one of the parenting jobs I hate. I'm supposed to keep things from hurting my kids but here I am bear hugging them to hold them still (and boy does that girl hate to be held still) while someone inflicts pain upon them. Last time she got a shot she gave the nurse a dirty look and then was over it. This time...not so much. She cried. Then she screamed. Then she just looked pitiful and buried her face in my neck. Luckily, within a few minutes she was over it.

They should give parents the type of shot that comes in a glass prior to the start of these appointments.

0 comments: